Narcissist definition is someone who has excessive admiration for themselves. They are self-centered and thinks the world revolves around them. Anyone that tries to disrupt their artificial reality is met with aggressiveness and denial.Knowing the narcissist definition will help you determine what is causing issues in your relationship. Dating a narcissist can be mentally draining. Here are ten signs that you are dating a narcissist and where to get help.
This post is about signs of narcissism in early dating.
1.Exploitative Relationships- A narcissist will form relationships for their own personal gain. When they are not receiving the attention they need from their mate, they will venture out to find someone who will support their reality. This can be an intimate partner or friend. This is why a narcissist is more likely to cheat. Though they feel like their mate is not giving them what they need, they will still stay in the relationship because they do have some qualities that are beneficial to them.
2. Difficulty with Attachment- A person suffering from narcissism will attached themselves to anyone who does not disrupt their version of reality. Although the interactions are superficial, it is very important for a narcissist to surround themselves with people who do not object their views and opinions. This is one of the most common signs of narcissism in early dating.
3.Vulnerability Caused by Life events- When life changes for a narcissist, it disrupts their world because of the unwanted dose of reality. Life makes a person face their responsibilities even when they are in denial. Events such as deaths, births, and marriage can have a narcissist in panic mood because events are happening that are out of their control.
4. Chronic Loneliness and Emptiness- A narcissist could be in a room full of people and yet they feel lonely. They need people to support their way of thinking. However, those superficial connections are not reliable when they need someone to communicate with during a crisis. A narcissist will drown themselves in their own thoughts and worries because they are incapable of building meaningful relationships.
5. Excessive Self Importance- A narcissist lives within themselves. No one in their life matter as much as them. They believe that they are irreplaceable. When they are in a relationship, they will convince their partner that they need them. They will also try to convince them that they will never find anyone better than them. A narcissist believes that they are irreplaceable, and others are disposable.
6. Deflection- Most people do not have a problem with saying that they are wrong. However, a narcissist will deflect until the very end. A narcissist refuses to admit blame because doing so will prove that they are imperfect like everyone else. A person suffering from narcissism believes that they are above everyone else, and they are incapable of being wrong or making a mistake.
7.Indentity Crisis- A narcissist has a God complex. They believe that everyone around them are their subjects who are meant to serve them. A narcissist cannot do no wrong. However, they believe that their presence no matter how difficult it may be on the people around them, brings joy and pleasure to everyone. Narcissists loves to be praised and complimented even when they did little to no work to deserve it.
8. Lack of Empathy- Have a narcissist ever offended you and when you tell them what they did, they have no empathy? A narcissist does not have the ability to look at things from another person’s perspective. They lack understanding. However, if you offend a narcissist even the slightest, they will blow the situation way out of proportion. They stay in a glass house and throw bricks whenever they want. However, when you throw a rock back at them, they will play the victim. A narcissist will want you to apologize immediately. If you are not regretful for offending them, they will go above and beyond to make sure you feel much worse than they did. They do this to teach you a lesson so you may never make the same mistake twice.
9. Belief of Perfection- A narcissists believes that everything they do is spectacular. The most meniscal deed they complete, they want a standing ovation. If you do not acknowledge a narcissist, they will become irate. They are convinced that you are jealous of them, and you do not want them to get ahead in life.
10. Lives in a Fantasy- Narcissists lives in a fantasy world. They are always imagining themselves accomplishing unrealistic goals. They love to talk about their fantasies. If you discouraged this behavior, they would assume you don’t believe in them. It is natural for a person to fantasize about reaching their accomplishments. However, a narcissist will do this without putting in the effort or work to reach their goals.
It is very difficult to treat narcissism, but there are different forms of psychotherapy that can help with the condition. If you are dating a narcissist, it is best to terminate the relationship. Narcissist definition explains why staying in a relationship with someone who is narcissistic will be mentally and emotionally draining.
Make sure that you have a support system when leaving a narcissist because they will not make this task easy for you. Knowing the signs of narcissism in early dating can prevent you from being in a abusive and manipulative relationship. For more information and to get help contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline